Sunday, December 22, 2013

Here, I am!

22 December, 2013

Well. Here I am in the clouds.  I'm not sure where. I feel like I've lived so many different lives in the last three months, especially after the last couple of weeks without my mother. It's much different when one can say "I," rather than "we." I'm not a different person, but it is much easier to sort of forget who I am when I'm traveling alone. I feel detached, in a good way, calm, and happy. I guess that's why I say I'm in the clouds (and because I'm in an airplane).
Not sure what the significance of that is, so I'll move onto a new subject. I just spent a fantastic ten days in Riga, Latvia with my cousins. 
No wait... First there was France! After our three beautiful days in Rome with Bamby, the rake and Hoeh parted ways and I took a seventeen-euro flight to Marseilles. Eva, 5, and Simmy, greeted me at the airport and I spent the next five days Simmy and Sabine's lovely new (self-built, some finishing touches still in progress) home in Aix-en-Provence, practicing my French with Eva and Hugo, 3, wrestling with them on their parents' bed, playing cache-cache, or dragging them across the floor by their feet as they shrieked with laughter. 
Having lunch outside on a particularly nice sunday.
We also did some exploring of the beautiful countryside (check out the roman aqueduct), and picked out and decorated the perfect Christmas tree. 
Overall it was a great experience getting to meet my two new second cousins and also getting to know Simmy a little better, who was always that "so friendly but also intimidatingly cool and funny older first-cousin-once-removed that I get to see once every few years" throughout my childhood. Sorry about my insuppressible urge to be precise about the relationship. It's wordy but that's what it is.
Me and Hugo

Ok, now onto Riga! What a fantastic end to my trip. For the first week I was alone with one of my other long-time favorite first-cousins-once-removed, Nicholas, and another one of my new favorite second cousins, Paula, 4, whom I had never met before. The combination of Paula's sometimes frustrating, but mostly hilarious antics and Nicholas's engaging and comfortable company, along with the fact that I had no stresses or responsibilities of my own, put me in a state of plain old constant happiness. It felt like a true vacation. I laughed often and ate well, exploring the city and baby-sitting some by day, sitting up late talking by night. 
Paula: "Yes, tate a pitchure"

The only thing that could have improved the situation would have been the arrival of more people that I loved, and sure enough, exactly a week after I landed, we went back to the airport, flowers in hand, to welcome my beloved cousins, Eloise and Adelaide. I'm not going to explain what we did for the next 4 days, partly because I don't remember, but mostly because it's not important. Summary: We talked and ate, planned family vacations, laughed and did not cry, and Eloise knitted (in addition to participating in the above activities). 
The only thing that could have made things better would have been one more person. And so we went to the airport again and came back with Nicholas's wife/ Paula's mother, Zuzanna, who has been studying dance and music in a program in Barcelona for the last few months. Another charming and beautiful human being, whom I immediately liked and wanted to get to know better, but I was leaving in less than 48 hours! So, after she arrived and we were all having such a good time together, I saw that the only thing that could improve things at that point would be to change my plane ticket so I could stay for just a few more days. . . Sooo. . . Surprise! Just kidding, I'm coming home tomorrow :) I'm spending tonight in Milan at Owen's (the anchor and unsung hero of our trip) with him and Mila and then to boston in the morning.
Goodbye Riga 

Overall reflections on the trip? Well, sort of a bust on goal number one; I didn't really figure out what i want to do when I get home, you know with my life and career etc. But the world seems much bigger now. Traveling's fun, but seeing friends and family was the most important part, with meeting new random people in a close second, and although traveling alone is more relaxing, the trip wouldn't have worked without my mother the Hoeh. As far as I can tell, the most once-in-a-lifetime element of my voyage was getting to do it with her.
Three months is a long time to summarize. I mean that amount of time can easily be a trip without going anywhere. I would say I just had more interesting scenery. 
Now, from a philosophical standpoint, what I might take away is, now is always now and tomorrow never arrives, but somehow what used to be tomorrow is now getting farther and farther behind me. 
Good luck to everyone else in your life journeys. May you always search, but never find yourself. Maybe we'll see you back here!

No comments:

Post a Comment